Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Obsidian (Lux #1) By Jennifer L. Armentrout -- Welcome Aboard or Walk the Plank?

Title: Obsidian (A Lux Novel #1)
Author: Jeniffer L. Armentrout
The Judgement: LOOT!!! {This. This is what all I review strive to be. Not a part of the ship but a part of the loot, forever immortalized, forever enshrined, loved, gazed upon in awe. Truly a master piece. You have Neptune's grace.}



Synopsis:

"Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is."


Before I start my somewhat-rant on the synopsis





...ARE YOU READY FOR A COVER SHOWDOWN?!

Cover Showdown:

As you've noticed, if you've Googled the book or Goodread-ed (hey if "twerk" is in the Oxford dictionary, this certainly makes the cut) it, there are two marvelous covers of this book:

Subject A
Subject B


Now Subject A seems to be exuding extreme amounts of soul-burning-sexy-staredown by Mr. Daemon Black, while Katy (or any of the readers hehe) cling on to him for her (our) dear life.


Subject B on the other hand is a pleasure to both genders, with both Katy and Daemon looking at us with equal degrees of come-hither. 
Before I reveal MY winner, I have to say that I am in absolute LOVE with the cover models, Pepe Toth and Sztella Tziotziosz. I've seen them on so many book covers and that alone makes me want to read those books. I'm a sucker for covers, so these two gracing any cover makes me want to empty my treasure chests without a second thought. 

NOW, time to reveal my winner. Drum roll please!


AND THE WINNER IS...SUBJECT B!!! ('cause it fulfills all my Daemon-Katy love in one picture :)

My First Thoughts: Okay, mini-rant time =_= I don't know if I'm the only one but if it wasn't for the cover, I probably wouldn't have picked up Obsidian, which is life-altering as it was my first Jennifer Armentrout book I'd read (and down the rabbit hole I fell, falling deeper into the Wonderland that is filled with Ms. Armentrout's books). The synopsis sounds so...juvenile. And I understand that the genre is YA but still, it didn't depict the sultry/mysterious/sometimes-serious vibe I got while reading the book AT ALL. "Starting over sucks" And the heart-wrenching reason they moved away wasn't included, which would've tugged on my heart a bit more than "When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring" I almost didn't read this book BECAUSE of the synopsis. 

Sorry for the rant y'all but the synopsis is the first glimpse into the book, the decisive factor in whether one reads the book or not. And this one lacked too much to do justice to this great book.

Captain's Log on Obsidian: As I've stated in bold letters above, this is one for my loot for sure. A kick-ass heroine, no love triangles, and such an interesting story line and world, all in one book? Too much perfection. Katy has to be one of my favorite characters so far, because of her guts and her no-pushover personality. And the way the book was written was my favorite part of the reading experience. It's as if I become Katy herself, her emotions mine, her world surrounding me...which is why initially, I DID NOT like Daemon (but really, way to write, Ms. Armentrout)

This couple though...never have I read a book so focused on the main couple AND balancing the story line. The sexual tension between these two was amped-up ever since they'd meet. I'm glad they eased into their feelings slowly and not hey-im-your-neighbor-lets-have-sex. Just as Katy said, Instalove is the bane of my reading existence. Their banter also kept me laughing and smiling gleefully. Here's a cute snippet I loved:
"Where have you been?" I asked in a voice that sounded shrill to my own ears. 
Silence fell while two more sets of beautifully odd eyes settled on me. I felt my cheeks turn hot and I leaned back, feeling like an idiot. I folded my hands and kept my eyes pinned to them. What a way to draw attention to myself. 
"Well hello, honey, I've been out boozing and whoring. I know, my priorities are pretty off." 
My lips thinned at his sarcastic response. "Dick" I muttered.


But really, besides the comedy, this book is plenty Awww worthy. It's admirable how Katy grew as a character because of her dad's words to not be a bystander. I mean, come on, how is it that whenever she remembers those words, I can't help but cry and smile at the same time?! Witch craft writing, I telling you...

*Just a thought*, but if you follow Ms. Armentrout's blog, as I do, maybe you picked up a few of Ms. Armentrout's character in Katy. Just an observation. Not judging or anything^^

I and Katy might've dislike Daemon at the beginning but we both saw the vulnerable, sweet man underneath the mask of dickdom later on. Or Saw The Light :D My favorite thing about Daemon, besides his sexiness, would have to be how even after he shows his sweet side, his arrogance or pride or even his dick-headedness didn't just poof into thin air and leave him a mush of a man. I know, you know, we all know at least one book boy who was "wearing a mask to push everyone away but really is a sweet boy inside and once he burst out, there was no stopping him from jumping on the peace-and-love-is-great train"......Did someone order a huge dose of unrealism? Daemon's imperfections made him so realistic, so lovable as a character to me, so...human (haha the irony). 

But I thank Neptune for how Daemon turned out. I thank Neptune and the Seven Seas for how this whole book turned out. It was just too perfect. This review is hard because i'm too speechless and don't know where to start on talking about this perfection. I guess the best way to express my feelings would be to buy every person on Earth a copy of the book and make them read it. It's just that good of a book. 

*Side note* I'll be talking more about Daemon Black on my True Love Thursday this, you guessed it, Thursday. Be excited!


I really do hope you read this book though, mateys. If you've read the book or are planning to do so, don't hesitate to leave your fangirling thoughts and questions in the comments section below!

Now, finally...WELCOME ABOARD THE JOLLY ANNE, OBSIDIAN!!! More than that, WELCOME TO THE LOOT!!!

-Captain Kaelyn





No comments:

Post a Comment